HEADER BLOG TITLE

26/09/2013

44 Stanley and a Vessel

Vessel (our walls are painted a silvery grey in case you wonder what happened to the brightness in these photos) 

Yarn: Elle Cotton On Seriously Chunky in Natural, Kismet Strawberries and Cream in Charcoal Colour 8, Vinnis Nikkim in 3 different colourways
Hooksize: 6,5mm on 3 different yarns throughout
Pattern: Own, bottom of pot in single stitches, neck in treble crochet



Hello!  This is a glimpse of what I have been busy over the past few days.  I am also still working on the Amanda Perkins triangles, but need to visit Maryna, my yarn lady, for a big Vinnis shop to supplement some of the colours again. I have hooked two vessels so far and figured out a grand plan for retaining the shapes of my vessels that does not involve glue or stiffener at all - just give me another week or two and I will share the idea. Woop woop, I am excited since this idea might take my hooky passion in different directions should it turn out the way I envisage!



Spring has also sprung - these are blossoms from our plum tree.  We ave been eating pecan nuts and avocados from our trees throughout winter too.  Unfortunately the figs from last season were full of icky worms, no idea what will happen to the fruit this year.  Grrr I don't do worms!



We enjoy the urban culture offered by the different markets and precincts in Johannesburg (also known locally as Jozi, Jo'burg or the City of Gold). Last weekend we spent time at 44 Stanley, which consists out of 25 speciality boutiques, studios, cafes and rare bookshops. What a great place and space! The vibe is reminiscent of urban, industrial and historical whilst still being contemporary and cool. The buildings were once a series of industrial 1930's building, occupied by the Automobile Association and later a few hundred squatters who almost completely vandalized the buildings. I am just glad that property developers saved these buildings and left behind not only great shopping but also a foodie haven!

























 Cheers! The zebra watering can (above left) is now mine!


Let's not say too much about my ooooops blogger moment - I deleted spam messages when I deleted the comments of my previous few postings by mistake :-(  Apologies of yours were one of those, I deleted more than 50 comments in one stupid moment.



7 comments:

  1. Really love your vessels already! And very curious to see the result... oh, and what a pretty dress in the picture left. A lot of gorgeousness in general in these photos. :-)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dress was gorgeous - should have bought it, but there are things I will go back for. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Yes, at least go back for the dress. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking vessels and I agree with Haafner, that dress is very pretty! Great to let us look at those pictures, places I will never see in real life. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful vessels :) and the interiors are nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings. I just discovered your blog, and needed to say that I love 44 on Stanley. It is a stunning place to go, visit with friends, browse, and just sit and enjoy. My favourite little place inside is VoVo Telo, any time, for a snack or a fresh juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo it is so nice to come across other South African crochet and craft bloggers in cyberspace! I find many of you are blogging on wordpress and think in the near future I should try the platform out once again. I was frustrated the first time around but it certainly is better than blogspot. I love Vovo-Telo! They do a roasted tomato, fennel and ginger soup that goes down very well in the winter. Thanks for stopping by - off to explore your blog now!

      Delete